Chicago Outside General Counsel Services
Ongoing Support for Illinois Business Clients
First-time business owners and experienced entrepreneurs alike will inevitably encounter obstacles that require legal assistance. While some choose to hire legal representation on a case-by-case basis, there are substantial benefits to hiring a firm committed to advising a company long-term.
Our Chicago outside general counsel services at the Kenny Law Firm can give your Illinois business the support it needs to succeed. Our attorney has considerable experience working with small- to medium-sized businesses throughout their lifecycles, from entity formation to sales and mergers. No matter what type of conflict or challenge your venture is facing, our team has the knowledge and resources to give you capable guidance.
A Full Suite of Business Services
Our team is dedicated to assisting both new and existing businesses with the challenges that they face. In addition to providing startup support services and proactive legal advice, our firm can assist companies with various forms of business litigation.
Our Chicago outside general counsel services can assist you with matters involving:
- Entity formation and registration. Creating a formal business confers numerous advantages, including tax efficiencies, liability protections, leadership structures, and enhanced credibility. Depending on the scope and type of your operations, it may also be legally required. We can review your proposed business plan and advise on what type of entity will be most advantageous. Our team can also assist in filing the appropriate documentation and registering your entity with the state. Tax advice however is something which we refer out to qualified CPAs or tax attorneys.
- Contract drafting, review, and negotiation. Every business needs legally enforceable agreements to define relationships between employees, vendors, clients, and all other third parties. We can draft, negotiate, review, and finalize contracts of all types and ensure that the terms are enforceable and that your interests are protected.
- Breaches of contract. You will need to carefully consider your legal options when a legally enforceable contract is breached by another party, especially if the violation causes your venture financial harm. We can help you explore your legal options and pursue any necessary litigation.
- Breaches of fiduciary duty. A corporate officer, business partner, or employee can cause substantial financial and reputational harm when they violate their fiduciary duties to the company or commit other intentional torts. We can help you pursue legal action to hold offending parties accountable.
- Restrictive covenant agreements. Depending on the sensitivity of your business’s operations, nondisclosure and non-compete agreements may need to be utilized to protect your company. We can create these employee contracts and ensure their terms are enforceable under Illinois law.
- Intellectual property protection and theft. Your proprietary company information is a large part of what makes you competitive, so any attempt to misuse, exploit, or steal must be taken extremely seriously. We can advise on how to proactively protect your intellectual property as well as pursue litigation in situations where proprietary information is stolen or abused. Patents however is an area in which we refer out to qualified patent attorneys.
- Corporate governance. Corporate boards of directors are required to act in the best interests of shareholders and abide by other regulatory requirements. We can regularly advise boards of directors on their actions , including those involving recordkeeping.
- Legislative analysis. State and federal legislation can cause seismic impacts to businesses and mandate significant changes to their operations. Some, like the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, can open companies up to substantial liabilities. We can review emerging legislative efforts and identify anticipated consequences, helping you proactively prepare and avoid any excessive disruptions.
- Sales, acquisitions, and mergers. Transactions involving the sale or acquisition of business assets are enormously complex endeavors that require legal and financial knowledge. We can guide you through these processes and help protect your interests.
He was willing to take my case and try to get it back on track. For the first time in a long time, I felt that I just might get justice, be free to enjoy my First Amendment right to freedom of speech.” - Shellie