Chicago Auto Accident Attorney
Aggressive Advocacy in Illinois
Automobile accidents are among the leading causes of injury and death in the United States. A crash can be traumatizing and trigger a wide range of damaging injuries and can easily cause long-term disabilities that limit your ability to work. In many situations, accidents could have been avoided if one of the motorists had exercised reasonable care in operating their vehicle. When you are harmed in a car wreck due to another driver’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated for your physical, emotional, and financial injuries.
The Kenny Law Firm can be your advocate in a personal injury claim. We have a full familiarity with how the state of Illinois adjudicates auto accident cases and can leverage our knowledge and experience to help you recover damages.
Do not wait to seek legal representation if you have been injured in an auto accident. Call (312) 647-2483 or contact us online today to discuss your case.
What To Do After an Auto Accident in Illinois
If you are involved in any type of auto accident, the first thing you should do is ensure the physical safety of every passenger and pedestrian involved. If necessary, call 9-1-1 and request an ambulance.
Once the accident is secure and you determine everyone is okay, you must gather contact information from the motorists involved. This will include names, addresses, telephone numbers, and insurance information. Request information from anyone nearby who may have witnessed the accident, as their testimony can potentially be called upon later.
Be sure to thoroughly document the accident site, your physical injuries, and any damage that your vehicle or personal property incurred. Take as many photographs as necessary. You are not necessarily required to summon law enforcement to the scene, but doing so will result in a police report that objectively documents the scene, the persons involved, even witnesses, and can be used to help substantiate your claim.
All participants in an accident are required to file a report with the Illinois Department of Transportation if any injuries or reasonably observable property damage of at least $1,500 resulted from the incident. You will also be expected to inform your insurance agent of the crash as soon as possible.
Taking these necessary steps helps you collect critical evidence and build your case against a negligent driver. Following procedural rules like filing the necessary Department of Transportation report and speaking with your insurance company will also aid you should you choose to pursue a personal injury claim.
How Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims Are Decided in Illinois
When you suffer injuries in a typical Illinois auto accident, you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. Statute of limitations can be complex, since each case is unique, so you should always act fast and consult with a personal attorney if you have questions concerning legal deadlines.
An auto accident claim will be evaluated in terms of comparative fault. This means that the jury assigned to your case will determine to what extent each party was responsible for causing the accident. All manners of evidence, including traffic camera footage, participant testimony, witness testimony, and phone records, may be considered.
It is possible that a jury could decide that you are partially at fault for causing the accident. They will assign a percentage of fault to each party, but so long as you are held less than 51% at fault, you can still recover damages. However, your total amount of compensation will be reduced by your share of the blame. If a judge grants a maximum award of $100,000, for example, but you were determined to be 25% at fault in contributing to the accident, you can only collect 75%, or $75,000, of the damages.
Note that any comparative negligence decisions in a personal injury claim could impact your settlement with your insurance company. You will also have to operate under different rules if the negligent party in an accident is an Illinois government employee. Our Chicago auto accident attorney can advise on the most strategic course of action and can also assist you with any insurance disputes that may develop.
Experienced Chicago Auto Accident Fighting for Your Rights
At Kenny Law Firm, we understand the challenges and complexities that arise after an auto accident. Our experienced team of attorneys is dedicated to providing aggressive advocacy for our clients. We have a proven track record of success in handling auto accident cases and ensuring that our clients receive the compensation they deserve.
When you choose our law firm, you can expect:
- Experience in Illinois auto accident laws: Our attorneys have in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations specific to auto accidents in Illinois. We stay updated on any changes in the law to provide the most effective representation for our clients.
- Personalized attention: We understand that every auto accident case is unique, and we take the time to listen to your story and understand the specific details of your situation. We tailor our legal strategies to meet your individual needs and goals.
- Thorough investigation and evidence gathering: Our legal team conducts a comprehensive investigation to gather all the necessary evidence to support your case. We work with accident reconstruction experts, medical professionals, and other specialists to build a strong argument on your behalf.
- Negotiation and litigation skills: We are skilled negotiators and are often able to reach favorable settlements for our clients without going to trial. However, if litigation becomes necessary, we have the courtroom experience and litigation skills to aggressively fight for your rights.
- Compassionate support: We understand that an auto accident can have a significant impact on your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Our team is committed to providing compassionate support throughout the legal process, guiding you every step of the way.
We will do everything possible to help you recover compensation after an auto accident. Schedule a free initial consultation with our team at the Kenny Law Firm by calling (312) 647-2483 or contacting us online.